Saturday, May 16, 2015

Tribute to Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

   The Art of Living Foundation is an international NGO that teaches stress relief, breathing, and meditation techniques. It was founded in the 1980’s by Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, a spiritual leader and Guru to hundreds of thousands of people throughout the world. Sri Sri believes in a stress-free, violence-free world and founded the Art of Living to help bring this about. He developed a powerful breathing technique known as the Sudarshan Kriya, which many participants of Art of Living courses have benefitted from throughout the years. I know from my own experience the healing effects of Sudarshan Kriya and meditation.

   I have had an interest in Indian literature for a while, and have been deeply moved by works such as the Bhagavad Gita. This I interest is evident in my recent sculpture of Lord Ganesha from Hindu spirituality and literature. For my next sculpture I wanted to honor the founder of the Art of Living Sri Sri Ravi Shankar. Referred to as the Guru of Joy, Sri Sri has brought greater happiness and motivation to many around the world via his message of peace and service to others. It was also through the Art of Living Foundation- and its university-based YES Plus branch- that I was able to complete the Seva Project I went on at the end of last year (my first blog entry after the introductory post describes this trip in detail- please read it if you’re interested).

   As a way to thank the Guru that has had such a positive influence on my life and the world, I have ventured to craft a sculpture in his likeness. It is a simple little statue, much like the Lord Ganesha statue I already produced, but I like it and I hope it is a fitting tribute to a man who relentlessly (and yet effortlessly, it seems) shares kindness and joy with the whole world. Kindness is something this world needs more of. Its value is beyond measure. Sri Sri Ravi Shankar has dedicated his life to spreading kindness throughout the world, and I have the highest respect for it.

   Thank you for reading this personal anecdote of mine, and I hope you like the pictures of my sculpture. Any and all constructive criticism is welcome. If anyone else would like to share his or her experiences with Sri Sri or the Art of Living, please feel free to do so.


Jai Gurudev!
Mike








Thanks for viewing! More information on The Art of Living can be found at:

3 comments:

  1. Oh Michael, the sculpture is just special, as is your tribute to Sri Sri. How you honored him as he so deserves. Yes , kindness is a very special gift. Let us all ask for an increase of this gift in our hearts and manifestation of it in our lives. Thank you Michael! You are appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael, wow this is the cutest ever Sri Sri sculpture I ever seen. That is so amazing that the simple shapes and warm bright colors you used have effortlessly express the warm, humorous, kind, joyful vibe we experience from Sri Sri. What a master piece!!!! May you create more and more diverse styles of sculptures and art pieces. :) Million thumbs up!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you everyone who commented and viewed my sculpture. This project was very special to me and it's great to see that others appreciate it also. Thank you all ! ! !
    Jai Gurudev!

    ReplyDelete