Friday, January 22, 2016

Starlight Sisters (Parts 4-6)

Starlight Sisters (Continued)

(This entry contains parts 4-6 of the story. For parts 1-3 see the previous entry.)




Part Four- Geb Growth

Twinklette was saddened by the departure of her parents and the loss of her sister, but her new friendship with Christie Starlight helped the little girl tremendously. Christie brought Twinklette to her home on the outskirts of Main City and the girl was very content and comfortable, though she was still naturally worried about her family. Christie introduced Twinklette to her good friend and sister Selene, and the three of them had much fun together. Selene and Twinklette even went to Christie’s rehearsal for an upcoming show, and it was a very pleasant experience for the girl. Like Christie, Selene was very beautiful but she had very long blonde hair as opposed to Christie’s black hair. Selene often wore a silver dress while Christie wore various shades of light blue. In many ways Twinklette filled the void left by Sunny for Christie and Selene, and they filled the void for Twinklette left by her family. The cute little girl was not only like a sister but also like an adopted daughter for the two honorary sisters. In fact, Christie and Selene both adapted the surname “Starlight” and Twinklette did this as well. Thus they became “The Starlight sisters.”

The three Starlight sisters got along very well, but nevertheless they were in Main City and in such a place it’s only a matter of time before one encounters troubles. They were travelling through Main City in Christie’s vehicle when they came upon a disturbing scene. Two men dressed in wasp suits were attacking a chubby man in a grey outfit. It was a common thing in Main City for some people to wear animal suits. The Caretaking Body outlawed any type of cultural identity for people, so to compensate for this lack of identity some people preferred to wear a suit of a specific animal. The two wasp-men were really doing harm to the man they were beating down, and staying true to form the Dream Queen could not stand by and do nothing. She pulled her vehicle aside and stepped out while Selene remained in it with Twinklette.

“What are you doing?” Christie called to the wasp-men.

“None for your damn business, bitch!” one of the wasp-men shouted. Christie was not known to be a warrior, but she did have a small power wand that she knew how to use. Other than firearms, power wands were the weapons used in the Metroscapes and could be very effective in the hands of somebody skilled in their use. Christie pulled the wand from a pocket on the side of her outfit and blasted sparks at the wasp-man. He fell to the ground as his partner attacked. The sparks were a form of energy that would disable but not kill an individual. Power wands were generally not lethal weapons whereas firearms typically were, though there were exceptions to both weapon types. Christie’s power wand was not one of the lethal types but because she knew how to use it she could take care of herself against typical Main City thugs. The other wasp-man had a small, handheld firearm but Christie used her power wand to quickly disarm and knock him unconscious like she did to his friend. She then went to the man they were beating on.

“Are you okay?” She asked the man.

“I’m still alive,” he responded, “For better or worse. Thank you so much for saving me. I thought I was a goner for a moment there.  Those two have been after me for a while. Oh my goodness, you’re the Dream Queen! No wonder you were able to take out those scumbags. It’s an honor to meet you!” The man then shook Christie’s hand enthusiastically.

“Don’t mention it,” Christie answered, “I’m glad I can help. Why were they doing that to you?”

The man let out a sigh and put his head down and said, “Between you and me, Miss Starlight, I did something stupid. I found a way to forge Cabbage leaves and pass them off in Main City. The Zing Brothers found out and blackmailed me into giving them a portion of my leaves. I regret it now and I brought the trouble upon myself. It’s just that getting Cabbage leaves is so hard and I didn’t know what else to do. I know I’d be in severe trouble if the Main Patrol found out, so please don’t tell anybody! Please keep this our little secret Miss Starlight. I know you’re a great person and wouldn’t rat me out.”

“I won’t say anything,” Christie assured the chubby man. “But you really should be more careful. What you’re doing is a serious offense, and it could end very badly for you. Messing with the Cabbage is no joke, you know how the Caretaking Body keeps track of that.”

“Can you please bring me back to the Vegetable Patch I live in?” asked the man in the grey outfit. “I swear I can pay you back for helping me. I will make it worth your while, I promise.”

“I’m sorry but I don’t give rides to counterfeiters,” said Christie. “And if you’re offering to pay me with your fake leaves forget about it. I don’t need any payment. Like I said I’m glad I could help, but I need to get going. My sisters are waiting for me.”

“Wait, wait Miss Starlight, please don’t go!” said the man. “Please don’t leave me here. I’ve wandered too far already. I don’t think I can make it back. Please help me, I swear to you I won’t do anything illegal or dangerous. My Vegetable Patch is a haven for Bitties! You know how hard they have it in these parts. They’re safe in my Vegetable Patch. Somebody as kind-hearted as you could surely understand!” Bitties were a species of small people who had bodies that resembled fruits, vegetables, flowers, and other plants. They were preyed upon in Mteroscape regions and even eaten by some creatures such as Grandies. Many people felt sorry for the Bitties but knew of no way to help them, and the Caretaking Body ignored their plight. The man’s claim that he helped Bitties got Christie’s attention, as only people with exceptional skills were able to do so. Nevertheless, Christie was still hesitant to trust the man because her sisters were nearby and she did not want to endanger them.

“You seem like a nice man,” said Christie, “and if you are able to help Bitties that is commendable, but I can’t help you right now. I have things I need to do.”

“Oh please don’t go Miss Starlight,” cried the man, who now dropped to his knees with folded hands as he tried to dramatically plead his case once more. “Please don’t leave me, I’m begging you! Please have compassion for me; I’m weak and stupid. I won’t make it. I have a very strong friend in the Vegetable Patch though. He’s the reason it’s a sanctuary for Bitties. The Main Patrol and the Grandies don’t go in there because of him. He is a good person. He even makes clothes and suits that can give people powers. Please help me Miss Starlight, and I swear he will help you. You’re a good person and so is he!”

“What’s going on Christie?” Selene asked curiously as she and Twinklette emerged from the vehicle. They were watching the scene from there and were wondering what was happening.

“What’s your name?” Christie asked the grey-clothed man.

“I’m Geb Growth,” he answered. “My friend is called Cyber Wurko, but I call him the Metal Giant. He is a very peaceful person, but I know he must be powerful because none of the bad guys around here ever bother him. Please help me get back to him. The Zing Brothers ruined my suit and I need another one, or else I’m really a goner. Please help me!”

“Christie we have to help this guy!” exclaimed Twinklette, whose childhood innocence caused her to feel sorry for the man pleading before the Dream Queen. “He’s a fan of yours and you saw how nasty those wasp-men were being on him. Oh we gotta help him Christie, we just gotta help him! Look at him, he’s scared. You helped me when I was scared. Let’s help him, pleeease!”

“Thank you so much kind little girl!” said Geb Growth. “I swear it will be worth your while, majestic Dream Queen. Please take pity on me and I can help you.” By now the Zing Brothers were starting to stir.

“Okay fine,” said Christie, “I’ll take you to your Vegetable Patch, but after that you’re on your own. I don’t need any payment from you or this cyber friend of yours. Just be more careful in the future and stop the whole counterfeiting operation, because I know something bad will come out of that sooner or later.” Christie had no idea how prophetic her words were.

Geb Growth thanked Christie profusely as he got into the vehicle along with Selene and Twinklette. They drove off toward the Vegetable Patch and left the wasp-suited Zing Brothers behind. As they drove along, however, a heavy rain started to fall. Another thunderstorm was brewing, and with it came more trouble for Twinklette and her friends.







Part Five- Nectra

The foul Ghost of Despair captured Sparklette New, but was unable to fully absorb her into his being. She was strong and though she was firmly fixed within the confines of his dreadful Nightmare Country, Sparklette never consciously surrendered to the wicked ghost. But because she was within the essence of the wraith, the Ghost of Despair knew that she had a younger sister who might be easier to break and thus wanted to find her. As the thunderstorm broke out over Main City the Ghost of Despair sensed the presence of Twinklete and found her in Christie Starlight’s vehicle. No Grandie was nearby to overturn the vehicle, but that mattered little to the ghost. Instead he decided to appear before the vehicle itself, startling the Starlight sisters and Geb. Christie stopped the vehicle and got outside. She left the others inside as she went to confront the newly appeared figure. The Ghost levitated in the air before her and as Christie looked at the skeletal face through the heavy rain she knew that the creature must be something terrible. Before she could even say anything the Ghost of Despair knocked the Dream Queen aside with a strike from one of his large purple hands. He then hovered above the vehicle and tore the roof from it, exposing Twinklette, Selene, and Geb. The Ghost let out an ominous, deep laugh as he reached into the vehicle and grabbed hold of Twinklette and Selene. He lifted them from the vehicle and held them as he floated higher into the air.

“No! Stop! What are you doing?” Christie shouted. Geb tried to grab at the flowing robes of the ghost to help his friends, but the wraith knocked him away from the vehicle as if using an invisible hand. Christie produced her power wand but did not fire the sparks from it for fear of harming her sisters. Selene and Twinklette struggled in the ghost’s grasp, and as if by a miracle the ghost dropped them both onto the ground. Neither Selene nor Twinklette were severely injured. Christie took her opportunity and fired sparks at the wraith. The power wand had no effect on the Ghost of Despair, who laughed darkly and then said to Christie, “I will be back for you and your friends, but you have other problems in the meantime.” The ghost then withdrew and floated away into the rainy night. The Starlight sisters and Geb could not understand why this happened, but the reason was because Sparklette sensed her sister was in danger. From deep within the essence of the horrid Ghost, Sparklette made a final effort to save her dear little sister. She stung the ghost from within him and startled him enough to drop Selene and Twinklette. Unfortunately for the elder New daughter, Twinklette and her friends knew nothing of her captivity within the ghost because they thought she was dead.

Christie’s sisters were not safe for long, and the Dream Queen soon learned the reason why. When the Ghost said she would have “other problems” before vanishing Christie quickly discovered what he meant. From the corner of her eye she noticed the blue lobster hovering nearby her. Only this time it did not just stay there and trouble her. The lobster grew and transformed into a humanoid figure. The creature now took on the appearance of a woman who had lobster pinchers at the ends of her arms, a lobster tail out of her back, and the head of the sea creature atop her head as if she was wearing a cap. To some she would have resembled some of the animal-suited people from Main City, or even a Morphie, which were creatures that had human and animal features on their body. This creature was not human nor Morphie. It was a demon that had been plaguing Christie Starlight ever since her adopted sister Sunny drowned. The demon was patiently biding her time and waiting for the moment to manifest to Christie. Now was the time it chose. The demon waved its arms and set a mist around both Selene and Twinklette that caused them to fall asleep.

“I was going to wait until your connection to the little one strengthened before making my move,” The demon told Christie. “But I did not want that stupid ghost to take your sisters and deprive me of the joy of defeating you. I’ve been following you for a very long time Christie Starlight, and I have eagerly waited for the day I could take your soul. It seems my time has come earlier than I expected, but that is fine by me. I was becoming impatient anyway.”

“Who are you and what do you want?” Christie asked. “If you have an issue with me, please let the others go.”

“I will let them go if you agree to surrender yourself to me,” said the demon.

“What does that mean?” Christie asked.

“I will give you some time to think about it,” answered the demon as she took the sleeping Selene and Twinklette into her pinchers and floated into the air as the Ghost of Despair had done only moments before. “I am going into my star and bringing these two with me. I will return in a day’s time. If you decide you will let me take possession of you then they will go free. If you refuse they will die.”

“Why are you doing this?” exclaimed Christie. “Let them go, they haven’t done anything wrong! Who are you anyway?”

“You may call me Nectra,” answered the demon. “As that was the name of my previous host. But her spirit is all but gone and now I require a new hostess to feed on. Nectra was once a queen herself, in a land that is now long forgotten. I feel that nothing less than another queen will do to satisfy my appetite.”

“Just let those two go!” shouted Christie, “Whatever you want I can provide, just let them go.”

“One day,” Nectra said before she was shrouded in a thick red mist and vanished with Twinklette and Selene. Christie fell onto the ground weeping, and would have remained there indefinitely if Geb had not gone to her.

“Christie, listen to me!” said Geb urgently. “I never thought they were real, but if that was truly a demon my friend the Metal Giant can help us. Bring me back to the Vegetable Patch. That might be our only chance of helping your sisters. If what they say about demons is true, she isn’t going to leave you alone once she started following you. I don’t know where Cyber Wurko came from, but I know he is very wise and knows something about everything. If anyone can help us, he can. Let’s go to him quickly!”

Christie understood what Geb was saying and together they got into the damaged vehicle and Christie drove along with determination. She said almost nothing to Geb and just followed his directions to where the Vegetable Patch was located. For the first time in a while Christie Starlight had a grim demeanor that would not lift until her sisters were safe. Though she didn’t say anything, as Geb observed the Dream Queen and saw her subtle intensity he thought perhaps the demon Nectra would have something to fear the following day. Christie did not know why Nectra gave her a day’s time to make a decision. All she knew was that she had to save Twinklette and Selene by any means necessary. She lost one sister already and did not intend to lose any more. Her intuition told her that Geb’s friend could be trusted, and for an inexplicable reason going to the Vegetable Patch seemed like the right thing to do.








Part Six- The Deal

The demon Nectra took Selene and Twinklette and flew through the atmosphere and off into space toward her demonic star. She kept her captives safe in her demonic aura as she travelled along. But on her way the Ghost of Despair, who had a proposition for her, approached Nectra.

“I know why you are pursuing the Dream Queen Nectra,” said the ghost, “And I am sure you appreciate my acquiescence in letting you take those two lovely girls away from her. Christie Starlight has a hearty spirit indeed, though I have no doubt you could subdue her. She will be a most prized asset for you if you can possess her. For my part I wish you all the best.”

“That is good to know for me,” replied Nectra, “But all demons know that you work with an ulterior motive as we do. Why do you wish me well in my pursuit?”

“Other than the fact that Christie Starlight is perhaps the biggest encumbrance to my most prized emotion despair in Main City, I wish to make a deal with you that involves her,” answered the ghost.

“I’m listening,” said Nectra.

“Christie Starlight’s morale is extremely weakened right now thanks to you,” stated the Ghost of Despair, “And although I am sure you can overtake her yourself, I can wear her down even more and make her easier for you to break. Let us be honest here; she will not be an easy human for any demon to subdue. Her spirit is very strong as you know, which is why she makes such a luscious prize. But any demon seeking her could use some help. You also plan to return to her in a day. I can do much in a day. It takes me only a single moment to plant my seed of doubt in a person. My doing so to Christie Starlight will help you.”

“It will, and what would you want in return?”

“That younger hostage of yours would be very valuable to me. I already have her older sister in the Nightmare Country ready to be broken and absorbed. If I have the younger sister inside they would surely both break and I will gain both of their souls. This would be good for me. All I want is the younger girl in exchange for the damage I do to Christie Starlight for you.”

“Very well Ghost,” answered Nectra. “You have a deal. When Christie Starlight surrenders to me and I possess her, the little girl is yours. The other one will be of no use to me so you can probably just go ahead and absorb her too if you wish.”

“You are so very kind Nectra,” answered the ghost with a deferential bow to the demon, “I knew you would find my deal reasonable and I appreciate it. Just wait and see; when you approach Christie Starlight tomorrow I will make sure she grovels before you and begs to taken by your awesome power!”

The Ghost of Despair was a very old spirit and knew demons well. He had interacted with them for ages and knew their strengths and weaknesses. He knew all demons possessed a massive ego. Although he was more powerful than most demons, he acted humbly in their presence and made them feel superior in order to better get what he wanted from them. He had just used this method on Nectra, for the Ghost of Despair was an older and more powerful being than she; at least that was the case when his victims were fearful. Nectra was a formidable demon, but few could contest with a dark spirit like the Ghost of Despair.

“I look forward to encountering my prey after you have had your fun,” said Nectra. Before the Ghost of Despair departed, she said to him, “I have heard whispers in the darkness that say your old ally might possibly return. The blue one that is even older than me.”

“My old ally,” said the ghost intrigued, “Do you mean the Blue Demon that took possession of the stout man Vulgar Squalor many years ago?”

“The very same,” she replied, “I heard he was under a spell that is soon to wear off. He will be seeking a new prey soon I am sure. If he does indeed return you may wish to contact him.”

“Thank you for this information Nectra,” answered the ghost, “If that is true it is very good news for me. If the Blue Demon and I were to join forces again we would ascend higher than ever before, especially with the way the human world is now.”

“I will see you tomorrow old ghost,” said Nectra before she and the Ghost of Despair parted ways. Nectra went to her home in her demon star and the Ghost of Despair went off to pursue the Dream Queen, though he had more difficulty finding her than he expected. 






The story continues next week!
Thank you for reading!

Michael Babbish

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Mike! The story gets more intriguing as it goes on. I am enjoying it! The art work is a really good addition.

    ReplyDelete